I get so many requests for baklava so I’ve decided to share this yummy recipe!
I feel like baklava is one of those dishes that you can really get creative with and make it your own. This is a time consuming recipe to prepare. For me, I really enjoy baking because it allows me to create something and get lost in the moment. Its good for the soul.
This is my recipe. Feel free to change it and make it your own!
- 16 sheets of phyllo dough (cut in half (32 sheets in total) to fit a 9×13 pan)
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 quart of ground Pistachios and/or walnuts (you could also add chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of water (rose water is optional)
- 1 cup of honey (or more if you love honey like me!)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine cinnamon and nut mixture.
- Brush pan with unsalted butter. Layer one sheet of phyllo dough and gently brush it with butter. Repeat for each sheet until you reach 12 sheets. Then, layer on the nut mix. Continue layering on the phyllo dough sheets and brushing each sheet with butter until there are no more sheets left.
- Cut the baklava in diamond shaped pieces. The hardest part for me is getting all the diamonds to be the same size.
- Bake for about an hour or until golden in color.
- In the last 15 minutes, make the honey syrup. Boil water, sugar, and honey over medium heat for 12 minutes. Then, add lemon and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Once baklava is golden, remove from oven and honey syrup promptly.
- Allow the baklava to soak in honey syrup overnight. (Optional: Garnish with powdered pistachios)
How did this recipe workout for you? Feel free to comment and let me know what you think!